Who were the Vikings?
Viking fever is everywhere, as exhibitions and TV programmes explore these ancient raiders and sea-farers. Were they savage plunderers like pirates or deeply misunderstood early settlers?
Find out more
- Do we need to rethink our idea of Vikings as pirates?
- In pairs, imagine you have a time machine to go back to Viking times. List the top 5 questions you would ask.
- a region in Northern Europe with a common culture and related languages, including Denmark, Norway and Sweden.
- people who raid and rob other people by using force, often during war.
- settlers who arrived in Britain after the last Roman soldiers left in AD 410. A mix of people from north Germany, Denmark and northern Holland.
- Alexander the Great (356–323 BC)
- King of Macedonia and conqueror of the Persian Empire.