Scientists create human-monkey cross
Should animals ever be part-human? There are not enough organs for doctors to use in life-saving operations, so they are turning to animals with human DNA. Some say it is cruel and unnatural.
Spanish scientists have created the first creature that is part-human and part-monkey.
They say that one day these creatures could be used to grow human organs, which could save the lives of over 150,000 very sick people in the UK who need organ transplants.
Find out more
Juan Carlos Izpisua, who led the scientists, has also experimented with human-sheep and human-mouse hybrids.
His experiments have made some people very angry. They would be illegal in most countries, so the scientists had to travel to China, where laws are less strict.
The human-monkey creature was destroyed before it was born. If it had been born, some people fear it could have become intelligent and conscious like a human.
Should animals ever be part-human?
It is very exciting. The experiments could save lots of lives because there are not enough organs to save everyone. In the future, this science could let us cure many diseases and we could have longer, healthier lives.
It is disgusting. The creatures created in the experiments may be able to feel pain and suffer. Humans should not have the right to create animals for selfish reasons. Besides, the research may not even work.
- Is it always wrong to experiment on animals?
- What strange animal crosses can you imagine? Draw your own combination of two animals, or a human-animal hybrid.
Some People Say...
“How dare you sport thus with life?”The Creature, in Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
What do you think?
- Organ transplants
- An organ is a part of your body like your lung or heart. An organ transplant is an operation when an organ that does not work properly is swapped for a healthy organ belonging to someone else.
- A cross between two things.
- Banned under the law.
- Awake and aware of what is happening to them.