Kylie Jenner is youngest self-made billionaire
Is she a good role model? Aged 10, Kylie Jenner was a reality TV star who stood in the shadow of her sisters. Now aged 21, she is one of the world’s most successful businesswomen.
Kylie Jenner is only 21, but she is already richer than the Queen, J.K. Rowling and Beyoncé. Now Forbes has named her the “world’s youngest self-made billionaire”.
She broke Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg’s record. “I didn’t expect anything,” Jenner said. “That’s a nice pat on the back.”
Find out more
Jenner has been famous since she was a child, thanks to her sisters. She is the youngest member of the Kardashian family. They have had a reality TV show since 2007.
She launched her own make-up company in 2015. Her lip kits sold out in one minute. The company is now worth $900 million.
Jenner pins her success on “the power of social media.” She is able to promote her products directly to her followers.
Is she a good role model?
Definitely! She could have coasted on her family’s wealth and fame. Instead, she used it to create a successful business in her own right. She is an inspiration to young girls.
Absolutely not. The business is only successful because she has a famous family. Plus, it promotes the idea that beauty is more important than brains. That is a bad message for girls.
- Who is your role model?
- Imagine you are going to start your own business. What would you sell? What would it be called? Design a poster advertising your products.
Some People Say...
“The more people love you, the more there’s going to be people that hate you.”Kylie Jenner
What do you think?
- Made by yourself. In this case, someone who did not inherit their fortune from their family, but earned it on their own.
- Mark Zuckerberg
- The man who created Facebook. He earned his first billion dollars when he was 23.
- Social media
- Websites for sharing your thoughts and pictures.
- Items which are sold by a company.
- People who “follow” someone on social media. This means they see that person’s posts.
- Got by without doing anything.