Christmas shopping frenzy on Black Friday
Do we care too much about gifts? Black Friday is one of the biggest days of the year for shops. People are rushing to buy presents in time for Christmas. Has it all got out of hand?
Black Friday is one of the busiest shopping days of the year. Many shops offer special discounts, which encourages people to buy their Christmas presents early.
This year it falls on 23 November. Sometimes people queue for hours before the shops open so they can get the best gifts.
Find out more
Black Friday started in the USA. It is always held the day after Thanksgiving, which marks the start of the Christmas season.
Last year Americans spent more than $600 billion on Black Friday. Recently the day has become popular in the UK too.
The tradition of giving Christmas presents goes back hundreds of years. It is linked to the three Magi giving the baby Jesus gifts in the Nativity story.
Do we care too much about presents?
We should focus on more important things. Holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving are about spending time with people you love. Spending money on gifts is a waste.
Presents are the best! Buying gifts for your family and friends is a good way to show that you love and appreciate them. Besides, it is exciting to get a nice surprise.
- What is the best part of Christmas?
- Make a list of as many words related to Christmas as you can. Apart from presents, what else have you written down? Are these things more or less important than presents? Talk about it as a class.
Some People Say...
“If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there’d be peace.”John Lennon
What do you think?
- Money off the full price.
- Tells someone to do something.
- A holiday celebrated in the USA, Canada and some parts of the Caribbean. People give thanks for what they have, and usually eat a big turkey.
- Something passed down for a long time.
- The three kings, or wise men, who gave Jesus gold, frankincense and myrrh.
- The Bible story of how Jesus was born in Bethlehem.
- Recognise the good things they do for you.