Airbrushing on Instagram ‘harms self-esteem’
Is it really harmful? More people are using apps to change how they look in selfies. Doctors say this makes us wrongly think we have to look perfect all the time.
Lots of magazines edit photos to change how models look. This is called airbrushing.
Now, anyone can use apps to change their appearance. It could be having a bad effect on our self-esteem.
Find out more
Social media sites like Instagram let people post pictures of themselves. Some people want to change how they look.
More than 800,000 people own the most popular airbrushing app. They use it to make their eyes brighter or skin smoother.
Dr Alex Jones says doing this can “damage the way people think about themselves”.
If you see lots of airbrushed pictures, it can make you feel like you have to look perfect all the time.
Is airbrushing on Instagram harmful?
Yes! In real life, everyone comes in different shapes and sizes. Airbrushing makes people feel bad about being themselves.
No! Airbrushing can be used in good ways, like with funny filters that put stars around your head. It is creative and fun!
- What makes you feel proud of yourself?
- How you look is much less important than trying to be the best person you can be. Make a list of five things you like about yourself. They could be your talents, work from school that you are proud of, or anything you want.
Some People Say...
“Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.”Marilyn Monroe
What do you think?
- Something you use on a tablet or smartphone to do activities.
- Whether you feel confident about yourself or not.
- Social media
- Websites like Instagram and Facebook that let people connect with their friends.
- To hurt something.